The potato will get a terrible rep from time to time, does not it? In and of by themselves, potatoes are not harmful, and they’re even a terrific choice for those people who have a gluten-no cost diet program. On the other hand, extra usually than not, the most perfectly-identified potato dishes are normally not only not gluten-totally free, but they’re not at all nutritious, both, many thanks to abundant and creamy sauces and about-the-top rated combine-ins. As common, most dishes you order in a restaurant or rapidly-food joint—particularly kinds where by the potato is featured—has been fried in mounds of butter and oil or, even worse but, deep fried in all of the higher than right before it even reaches your plate, permit alone your entire body. In this recipe, we split out of that mildew. In this vegan-helpful smashed potatoes recipe, we stay away from the a lot of calorie traps that your neighborhood diner drop into. And no, which is not a typo: these potatoes are smashed, not mashed, building for a a lot more sizeable part of your meal. These potatoes are as great subbing in for greasy French fries at evening meal as they are usurping calorie-laden hash browns at breakfast.
2 lb compact potatoes, like Yukon Golds
Salt and black pepper to style
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp minced refreshing rosemary or 1 tsp dried
2 Tbsp grated Romano or Parmesan
How to Make It
- Position the potatoes in a pot and fill with sufficient chilly h2o to cover.
- Insert 1 teaspoon salt and deliver to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes till just tender all the way via, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- When awesome more than enough to tackle, use your palm to carefully smash the spuds just adequate to split the skin and flatten the potatoes.
- Warmth the oil in a significant forged-iron skillet around medium warmth.
- Add the potatoes in a solitary layer, alongside with the garlic and rosemary.
- Cook until the potatoes are deeply browned and crispy on one side, 7 to 10 minutes, then flip and repeat.
- Insert the cheese in the ultimate times of cooking, so that it melts atop the potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe (and hundreds more!) came from just one of our Cook dinner This, Not That! publications. For additional straightforward cooking tips, you can also buy the e-book!