No metropolis or region in America lays claim to a richer, far more influential lineup of culinary creations than New Orleans and the encompassing Creole nation. Gumbo, étouffée, beignets, po’ boys—all are aspect of Louisiana’s incomparable culinary heritage. Is your mouth watering still? No dish, even though, is extra popular than jambalaya, the rice-based mostly hodgepodge of meat, seafood, and veggies, not in contrast to the Spanish paella. By reducing the rice ratio (or even swapping out with quinoa for a gluten-absolutely free choice) and increasing the produce and protein, this jambalaya recipe cuts the calories and carbs dramatically. Do not stress however: it continue to has adequate soul (and flavor) to satisfy the most discerning Creole critics.
You are going to Need
1 tsp olive or canola oil
1 cup diced turkey kielbasa
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium inexperienced bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1⁄2″ cubes
1 cup very long-grain rice (for a gluten-cost-free option, swap out for quinoa)
2 1⁄4 cups small-sodium hen inventory
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
8 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and black pepper to flavor
Frank’s Red Hot, Tabasco, or other warm sauce
Chopped scallions (optional)
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a huge skillet or sauté pan around medium heat.
- Include the kielbasa and prepare dinner for about 3 minutes, until finally evenly browned.
- Include the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, for 4 to 5 minutes, right up until the veggies have softened.
- Force the veggies and kielbasa to the perimeter, making a effectively in the centre of the pan. Include the chicken and sauté until finally evenly browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, and bay leaves.
- Transform the warmth to minimal, go over, and simmer for 17 minutes, until virtually all of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Uncover, add the shrimp, and cook dinner for 2 to 3 minutes, right until the rice is tender and the shrimp is cooked via.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Time with salt, black pepper, and very hot sauce and garnish with the scallions, if making use of.
This recipe (and hundreds far more!) arrived from one particular of our Cook dinner This, Not That! books. For a lot more simple cooking concepts, you can also obtain the ebook!