It is French in identify, but rooster cordon bleu feels American, right down to its molten cheese core. Typically, this chicken cordon bleu recipe is stuffed, breaded, then deep-fried into submission, but our testing uncovered that a superior-warmth oven delivers all the crunch we want without having all the calories we never. If honey mustard feels a bit like gilding the lily, it is, but at 350 energy for the total dish, why not? In addition, we have made this recipe gluten-no cost by just swapping out frequent breadcrumbs for gluten-cost-free panko breadcrumbs.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 oz each), pounded to uniform 1⁄4″ thickness
Salt and black pepper to flavor
8 skinny slices deli ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
2 Tbsp flour
1 egg, beaten
1 cup gluten-cost-free panko breadcrumbs (if you can’t locate a gluten-free of charge solution, crushed Rice Chex Blend is a wonderful stand-in.)
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Year the rooster all above with salt and pepper.
- Lay two slices of ham and a single slice of cheese across each and every breast, then roll widthwise until you have a tight, jellyroll-like package deal.
- Place the flour, egg, and bread crumbs in independent shallow bowls.
- Working with a single rolled-up breast at a time, dip initially in the flour to flippantly coat, then in the egg, then immediately in the bread crumbs.
- Use your fingers to make absolutely sure the chicken is evenly coated with crumbs.
- Organize the rooster on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, right until the hen is firm to the contact and cooked by and the bread crumbs are brown and crunchy.
- Though the chicken bakes, stir alongside one another the lemon juice, mustard, honey, and mayo to make a sleek, uniform sauce.
- Provide the rooster with the honey mustard drizzled in excess of the major.
Try to eat This Tip
For moist, crunchy rooster, you want full breadcrumb protection. This method performs for almost all pan and oven-fried recipes.
- Stage One particular: Cover and pound rooster till 1/4 inch thick.
- Phase Two: Coat in flour, then dip in beaten egg.
- Step 3: Absolutely address hen with bread crumbs of your selection.
Enjoy this recipe? Subscribe to our Consume This, Not That! journal for even additional at-property cooking and balanced taking in suggestions.