Despite its Greek origins, hummus gained a status in the United States a few decades back again as hippie foods. But its ubiquity in the fridge area of the regular grocery store these times displays that it has endeared by itself to numerous more teams of people, and that’s a fantastic detail. The keep-purchased stuff can be good, but it just cannot touch the handmade hummus recipe you can make in your food items processor with a couple of cloves of garlic, a few cans of chickpeas, drops of olive oil, and of class a handful of flicks of the wrist. In addition, hummus is 1 of those people great, primary recipes you can swap a lot of great options in the put of chickpeas and make a entire new flavor of hummus. For a few ideas on how to adapt this recipe, see our Try to eat This Suggestion, underneath!
Diet: 210 energy, 9 g fats (2 g saturated), 460 mg sodium
You’ll Will need
3 total-wheat pitas, reduce into wedges
1 can (14–16 oz) garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained 2 Tbsp tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄2 tsp cumin
1⁄2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spot the pita wedges on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, till very hot and lightly crisped.
- Mix the beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt in a food processor and puree.
- With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until finally the hummus has a thick, creamy consistency. If the combination is nonetheless also thick, incorporate a little bit of drinking water to thin it out.
- Provide with the toasted pita wedges. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Try to eat This Suggestion
Hummus is dying to be embellished. The most effective element about creating it from scratch at household (aside from the income you are going to help save) is that you can punch it up on the other hand you like. Attempt these additions:
- 5 or 6 entire roasted garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup bottled roasted pink peppers
- 2 teaspoons canned chipotle pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sundried tomatoes, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped black olives
- New herbs: basil, rosemary, thyme, or parsley
- Use Edamame instead of garbanzo beans
This recipe (and hundreds additional!) arrived from one particular of our Cook This, Not That! textbooks. For more easy cooking thoughts, you can also get the e-book!