We’re not positive what style of diabolical head dreamed up the idea of deep-frying cheese, but we probably really do not have to have to clarify why it’s a bad point for your waistline and all round wellbeing and properly-remaining. Instead than chase fried mozz down its dubious rabbit hole, we made the decision to reinvent the idea entirely. By grilling cheese, bread, and tomatoes alongside one another, you’ve effectively re-engineered the full fried mozzarella package on skewers (spiedini in Italian): gooey melted cheese and crunchy bits of bread, additionally a burst of tomato to finish it off. A regular Italian spiedini is in essence skinny pieces of beef or other meat on a skewer that is then rolled in bread crumbs, olive oil, garlic, onions, and marinara sauce. In this vegetarian-welcoming edition, we switch the meat with fresh mozzarella cheese, the bread crumbs with baguette crust, and the rest of the filling with cherry tomatoes and the skewers (or spiedini) with rosemary branches. Fantastic for a social gathering the place you never want to have to clean a one established of silverware following!
8 rosemary branches
16 cherry tomatoes
1⁄2 baguette, crust eradicated, lower into 3⁄4″ cubes
6 oz fresh mozzarella, slash into 1⁄2″ cubes
1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Salt and black pepper to flavor
How to Make It
- Preheat a grill. Strip the rosemary branches of plenty of of their leaves to make home for the tomatoes, bread, and cheese.
- Chop the leaves and reserve.
- Alternating among each, thread the tomatoes, bread cubes, and mozzarella cubes on to the rosemary skewers (chopping the tip of the department into a sharp place makes this less complicated).
- Drizzle with the olive oil and period with salt and pepper.
- Area the skewers on a cooler part of the grill and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, till the bread toasts and the cheese commences to melt. (This can materialize incredibly promptly if the grill is too scorching. Possibly way, it is vital to turn the skewers all through so that all sides are exposed to the heat.)
- Provide with a further drizzle of olive oil and garnish with the reserved rosemary leaves.
This recipe (and hundreds more!) came from one particular of our Prepare dinner This, Not That! publications. For additional simple cooking suggestions, you can also invest in the e-book!