There’s nothing at all completely wrong with comfort food items. Food ought to be comforting, shouldn’t it? But far more generally than not, the foodstuff that we find the most comforting are the ones that pack on the most needless calories and fat. We don’t consider that the value for comfort food items need to be that significant. Which is where the inspiration for this dish arrived from. The concept for this cornmeal catfish recipe will come from one particular of the kings of consolation food, Sean Brock, who cooks up soul-rattling Southern dishes at his Charleston restaurant, Husk. Sean has an amazing present for creating foods you will crave months after consuming: crispy rooster skins with peach marmalade, shrimp and grits with charred peppers, fried green tomatoes topped with pimento cheese and nation ham. But what haunts us the most is his catfish with a straightforward tomato gravy, a recipe from that endless source of ease and comfort food the entire world around, a grandmother—Sean’s, to be specific.
You will Need to have
2 Tbsp rendered bacon unwanted fat
2 Tbsp moreover 1⁄2 cup ground cornmeal
1 can (14.5oz) entire peeled tomatoes, lightly crushed, juices discarded
Salt and black pepper to flavor
1 Tbsp canola oil
1⁄8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 catfish fillets (about 6 oz every)
How to Make It
- Heat the bacon excess fat in a medium saucepan about very low heat.
- Insert the 2 tablespoons of cornmeal and continue cooking, stirring regularly, for about 5 minutes, until finally the cornmeal is gentle brown.
- Increase the drained tomatoes and simmer for a different 10 minutes. Period with salt and black pepper.
- While the sauce simmers, get ready the catfish: Heat the oil in a substantial solid-iron skillet or non-adhere pan in excess of medium warmth.
- Unfold the 1⁄2 cup of cornmeal out in a shallow dish and time with the cayenne, in addition a several very good pinches of salt and black pepper.
- Dust the catfish on both sides with the cornmeal and area in the very hot pan.
- Prepare dinner, turning after, for 6 to 8 minutes, until finally the area is golden brown and crusty and the fish flakes with gentle tension from your finger.
- Serve each individual fillet with a major scoop of tomato gravy.
This recipe (and hundreds extra!) arrived from a single of our Cook This, Not That! publications. For a lot more simple cooking ideas, you can also buy the reserve!