American as it may well be, the selling price of apple pie at a cafe is a steep just one to pay out. For that make any difference, so, much too, is the a person we pay back at Grandma’s property when she serves us a heat slice à la method. But to ditch the dessert above caloric considerations would be downright unpatriotic, so in its place we solved apple pie’s largest dietary setback—serving size—by wrapping up neat minor packets of sweetened, spiced apple chunks in flaky puff pastry. The final result is a completely portioned unique turnover with less calories than you’d get from two bites of Cheesecake Manufacturing unit’s Heat Apple Crisp.
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
1 cup water
1⁄2 cup sugar
3 Granny Smith apples
1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄8 tsp ground ginger
1⁄8 tsp floor nutmeg
Juice of 1 lemon
1 egg white, evenly overwhelmed
How to Make It
- Generously flour a performing floor. Roll the puff pastry into a 9″ x 15″ rectangle.
- Cut the pastry into 6 equivalent squares. Refrigerate right up until essential.
- Deliver the h2o and sugar to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Peel and main the apples minimize into 1⁄2″ chunks.
- Toss the apples with the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and lemon juice, then incorporate to the sugar mixture and simmer right up until the liquid thickens, 5 to 7 minutes. Established aside to amazing.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- When the apple mixture cools, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of apples onto the puff pastry squares, off middle.
- Fold the pastry around the apple filling to make a triangle and seal the perimeter by pinching the edges or urgent the tines of a fork into the dough.
- Position the turnovers on a baking sheet and brush with the egg white. Bake right up until the dough is crispy and golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
Eat This Idea
Puff pastry—made mostly with butter and flour—isn’t exactly mild fare. But if you roll out a sheet till skinny and lower it into 6 squares, you have a 150-calorie wrap that you can use to household a wide variety of sweet and savory mixtures. Swap out the chunky apple filling for any of the following:
- Shredded rooster, sautéed onions and peppers, Monterey Jack cheese
- Leftover Guinness-braised small ribs and sautéed mushrooms
- Sautéed spinach and onions tossed with feta cheese
- Bourbon-spiked bananas and crushed walnuts