In its ordinary cafe iteration, this is the only soup that can compete with broccoli cheddar soup or clam chowder in phrases of sheer caloric effects. Is not soup supposed to be the healthier choice? Most versions you’ll obtain start with a foundation of large product, building for a bowl that can quickly pack 400 energy or more. Effectively, with this baked potato soup recipe, you are going to come across a much healthier way to have a hearty soup. We slice the energy substantially by switching to chicken stock as the foundation, then introducing a splash of 50 %-and-50 %. The creamy potato flavor nonetheless shines by means of, and the bacon, cheese, and Tabasco give it the indulgent taste of a entirely loaded spud. Add a bowl of mixed greens tossed with olive oil and balsamic and you’ve obtained evening meal.
3 strips bacon, sliced
4 scallions, whites, and greens divided, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp flour
8 cups minimal-sodium chicken stock (or a mix of inventory and water)
2 medium russet potatoes, baked (leftover potatoes do the job good in this article)
1⁄2 cup 50 %-and-50 %
Salt and black pepper to flavor
Tabasco sauce to taste
How to Make It
- Warmth a huge soup pot in excess of medium heat. Insert the bacon and cook dinner for about 5 minutes, until crispy. Take out with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Discard all but a skinny film of the bacon excess fat.
- Insert the scallion whites and garlic to the pot and cook for a minute or two, right until aromatic and the scallions are translucent.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the substances.
- Pour in the inventory, whisking to help reduce any lumps from forming.
- Take out the peel from just one of the potatoes, chop, and increase to the pot.
- Use a potato masher to smash the potato into the broth. (For a smoother, a lot more uniform soup, you can puree the soup in a blender.)
- Cube the other potato, leaving the peel on, and insert to the soup, along with the 50 percent-and-half.
- Time with salt and pepper.
- Transform the heat all the way down and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When ready to provide, ladle into bowls and garnish with the bacon, scallion greens, a bit of cheese, and a couple shakes of Tabasco.