Most shrimp that displays up on restaurant menus is both breaded and fried or sautéed in a bath of melted butter—which isn’t the ideal for your waistline if you’re wanting to shed body weight. Luckily, you really don’t have to give up this typical Southern-design dish totally! As a substitute, we spike sautéed shrimp with scallions, cayenne, and crispy hunks of kielbasa all more than speedy-cooking grits to continue to keep the energy, incredibly adequate, underneath 400. Assess this shrimp and grits recipe to just one you’d get at a seafood restaurant, and you are unquestionably saving hundreds of energy and significantly decreasing the sodium.
You’ll Have to have
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup diced cooked turkey kielbasa
4 scallions, whites, and greens divided, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz clean mushrooms (button, cremini, or shiitake), stems eradicated, sliced
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1⁄2 cup low-sodium hen broth
Salt and black pepper to style
1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper
1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
1⁄4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a massive forged-iron skillet or sauté pan around medium-significant heat until finally frivolously cigarette smoking. Add the kielbasa cook for a handful of minutes, right up until frivolously browned. Include the scallion whites, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Cook dinner right until the mushrooms are lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Increase the shrimp and continue cooking right up until the shrimp are just pink and firm to the contact. Stir in the broth and cook for one more 3 minutes, until the liquid has lowered by 50 percent and the shrimp are cooked all the way via. Year with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Though the shrimp are cooking, prepare dinner the grits according to the package guidance. When they’re thick and creamy, increase the cheese and period with salt and pepper.
- Divide the grits and shrimp among 4 bowls and garnish with the scallion greens.
Consume This Suggestion
How to Devein Shrimp
That vein people usually refer to when chatting about shrimp? It’s truly their digestive tract. You’re absolutely likely to want to slash it out. Here’s how.
1: Peel the shell and remove the tail.
2: Make a shallow incision along the back again.
3: Fish out the vein with the idea of your knife.
Similar: The simple way to make more healthy comfort meals.