Real truth be told, a lower-calorie biscuit is no simple feat. You can make one with yogurt or some funky butter substitute as a substitute of the real factor, but you are going to know anything is amiss the 2nd you bite down. Where’s the flakiness? Where’s the ease and comfort? To hold the biscuit as healthier as doable even though continue to developing a genuine, flaky, Southern-design and style treasure, we have reduce out the shortening (trans fat are so 1990s), confirmed some restraint with the butter, and utilized reduced-fats buttermilk to convey dampness and tang to the mix. With this recipe, you won’t have to sacrifice the most effective section of a biscuit. Dig in!
Tends to make 10 biscuits
You’ll Have to have
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Mix the flour, butter, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a significant mixing bowl.
- Use your fingers to crack up the butter, mashing it into the flour to develop minor pebbles.
- When the flour and butter have been blended, make a well in the heart of the combination and pour in the buttermilk.
- Use a fork to gently carry the dough collectively.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured surface area and pat it out into a square.
- Gently fold the dough onto itself 4 or 5 situations (this motion can help create tall, delicate biscuits), then roll it out to variety a 1″-thick circle.
- Use a spherical cookie cutter (or even a drinking glass) to cut out the biscuits. (You need to get about 6 from the primary circle.)
- Re-form a different circle and repeat.
- You should have about 10 biscuits in total.
- Prepare the biscuits on a baking sheet coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake on the center rack for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
Try to eat This Idea
These biscuits are best on their very own, but we never ever shy absent from gilding the lily a little bit. Listed here are a few biscuit fillers to get you began:
- Scrambled egg with scallion and sharp Cheddar, topped with salsa
- Orange marmalade and smoked ham
- Grilled rooster drizzled with honey and hot sauce
Related: The easy way to make healthier ease and comfort foods.