Pot pies may perhaps be just one of America’s most loved comfort foodstuff, but there is practically nothing comforting about a dish that can swallow up an overall day’s really worth of calories, fat, and sodium, as many restaurant renditions do. We distinct out the artery-clogging fats, cut the calories by extra than fifty percent, and provide an easy chicken pot pie recipe you’re sure to adore.
You’ll Will need
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups stemmed and quartered white or cremini mushrooms
2 cups frozen pearl onions
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (leftover or pulled from a retail outlet-acquired rotisserie chicken)
1⁄4 cup flour
2 cups low-sodium rooster broth, warmed
1 cup 2% or total milk
1⁄2 cup 50 percent-and-fifty percent
1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
Salt and black pepper to style
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
2 egg whites, evenly crushed
How to Make It
- Warmth the butter in a large sauté pan or pot around medium heat.
- When it is melted, incorporate the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook till the onion is translucent and the carrots commence to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Incorporate the mushrooms and pearl onions and cook, stirring often, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and the flour, making use of a picket spoon to be certain the greens and meat are evenly coated with flour.
- Little by little pour in the chicken broth, working with a whisk to beat it in to enable steer clear of clumping with the flour (having the broth warm or sizzling aids smooth out the sauce).
- The moment the broth is included, incorporate the milk and fifty percent-and-50 percent and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, till the sauce has thickened substantially and frivolously clings to the vegetables and rooster. Stir in the peas. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Reduce the pastry into quarters. Roll out every piece on a floured area to make a 6″ sq..
- Divide the chicken mixture amongst 4 ovenproof bowls. Put a pastry sq. more than the major of each and every bowl, and trim away the excessive with a paring knife pinch the dough about the edges of the bowl to safe it.
- Brush the tops with the egg whites and bake till golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Eat This Tip
The bulk of the energy in pot pies arrives from the butter-laden pastry that crowns the bowls. This recipe calls for puff pastry rolled extra slender to reduce the caloric impression, but to further more reduce your excess fat ingestion, you can make two swift substitutions:
1) Instead of puff pastry, attempt a handful of layers of phyllo dough brushed with a bit of butter. Even then, it is continue to lighter and less caloric than puff pastry.
2) Swap the fifty percent-and-half with another 1/2 cup milk.
Related: Healthier ease and comfort food items recipes you can make at house.