Deep-frying is the greatest equalizer: It normally takes any uncooked component, regardless of how healthy it may possibly be, and turns it into nutritional garbage. (In addition, have you at any time observed how fried food items all tastes the exact same? Do not imagine us? Purchase the 1,650-calorie Admiral’s Feast at Purple Lobster and see if you can inform the big difference between one variety of fried seafood and the following.) Fish is full of nutrients that are healthy and energizing and have a complex and exciting taste. So why drown them absent in a greasy deep fryer? Here’s the place our balanced fish with herbed breadcrumbs enters to preserve the day. This oven-baked fish is nevertheless butter-laced, but with a breadcrumb topping that offers you the fulfilling crunch and richness of deep fried foodstuff with out ruining the inherent flavor—or nutrition—of the fish by itself, as well as it cuts the calories by additional than half.
Nourishment: 320 energy, 11 g fats (4.5 g saturated), 390 mg sodium
2 slices white bread or 1 English muffin, break up
2 Tbsp chopped fresh new parsley
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
4 halibut fillets or other flaky white fish this kind of as cod or swordfish (4–6 oz every) (Thinner fillets like catfish and tilapia are possible to overcook just before the breadcrumbs are toasted, but any thick white fish fillet will be great.)
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp butter, softened
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Location the bread, parsley, and thyme in a foods processor and pulse until finally you have smaller but not superfine breadcrumbs. You want a bit of texture right here.
- Lay the fish on a baking sheet and time all more than with salt and pepper.
- Smear the tops with a slender layer of softened butter, then press the herbed breadcrumbs into the butter so that they adhere to the fish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, till the fish is cooked by and flakes with gentle stress from your finger.
Eat This Suggestion
If you need to have a gluten-cost-free alternative for breadcrumbs, seek out out a box of panko breadcrumbs at your nearby grocery keep (Ian’s is a dependable brand name). You are going to continue to get pleasure from the crunch, but without the gluten.
This recipe (and hundreds extra!) arrived from a person of our Prepare dinner This, Not That! books. For extra easy cooking tips, you can also invest in the reserve!