The standard strategy guiding a gratin (especially when requested in most significant places to eat) is to transform the potato into a vessel for large cream and butter, which explains why only a side part of a restaurant gratin could have more energy than the entrée it accompanies. Let’s make gratin the facet dish it was meant to be and allow the protein part of the meal get center phase as an alternative. In our model of potato gratin, we slim our recipe down by buying and selling in a decrease body fat milk for the standard cream and buffering the ordinary potatoes with nutrient dense, fiber loaded sweet potatoes relatively than the weighty carb weighty alternate. Attempt pairing this as a facet dish with a roasted hen, a grilled steak, or even your upcoming Thanksgiving turkey. Your guests will be thrilled to meet your new aspect dish.
You will Require
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups 2% milk
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1⁄8″-thick slices
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1⁄8″-thick slices
Salt and black pepper to taste
1⁄2 cup grated Gruyère or other Swiss cheese
New chopped rosemary for garnish (optional)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Soften the butter in a medium saucepan about medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 moment to enable reduce a bit of that uncooked flour style.
- Bit by bit increase the milk, whisking to assist stop lumps from forming.
- Simmer the béchamel for 5 minutes, until it begins to thicken to the consistency of significant cream.
- Period with the nutmeg.
- Layer the potatoes in an overlapping sample in the bottom of a 10″ cast-iron skillet or 8″ x 8″ baking dish, alternating concerning normal and sweet potatoes and seasoning every layer with salt and black pepper. (You should have plenty of potatoes to make a 4-layer gratin.)
- Pour above the béchamel, then top with the grated cheese.
- Go over with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Enhance the temperature to 450°F.
- Take out the foil and continue baking for about 20 minutes, right up until the surface of the gratin is properly browned all above.
This recipe (and hundreds extra!) came from a person of our Cook dinner This, Not That! books. For additional straightforward cooking strategies, you can also get the e-book!