Prolonged a staple of purple-sauce loving Italian-American cooks, baked ziti is only a rung down below mac and cheese on the consolation-meals ladder. It is a straightforward formula—noodles covered in pink sauce, speckled with cheese, possibly a bit of meat—but Italian restaurants can so usually get it so mistaken by loading the food with exorbitant amounts of saturated body fat that no one in their suitable brain must spend to eat. Save your cash—and your ticker—and consume our much healthier version in its place. You can quickly make it at home, and it will not weigh you down. This is property-cooked comfort food at its best.
You will Want
10 oz ziti, if possible whole-wheat if you can discover it
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 links pre-cooked hen or turkey sausage, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp pink pepper flakes
1 can (28 oz) tomato puree
Salt and black pepper to flavor
1 cup refreshing basil leaves, plus more for garnish
3⁄4 cup cubed mozzarella (preferably refreshing)
Parmesan for grating
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Provide a pot of salted h2o to a boil. Cook the pasta right up until a moment shy of becoming accomplished (it’ll finish cooking in the oven).
- In the meantime, warmth the oil in a huge skillet or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Insert the sausage and cook for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper flakes, and cook dinner till the onion is tender and translucent.
- Stir in the tomato puree, as well as a great pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Cut down the warmth and simmer for at minimum 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta.
- Incorporate to the skillet and toss with the sauce.
- Take out from the warmth and stir in the basil and mozzarella.
- Dump the pasta into a 12″ x 9″ baking dish, sprinkle the leading with a bit of Parmesan, and include with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then clear away the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes, right until the top rated is crusty and browned.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
Try to eat This Idea
Pad Your Pasta
The rationale most pasta dishes fail is that the bulk of their volume will come from noodles, which signifies superior energy, empty carbs, and small nutrition. To make improvements to issues, lower the noodles down to 8 ounces and fill out the dish by introducing any of the subsequent to the pasta prior to baking: 2 cups cooked broccoli, 1 box thawed frozen spinach, or 8 ounces sautéed mushrooms.