Individuals have been taco crazy for a long time, nevertheless most of us have never imagined of the tortilla as a breakfast foods. Not the case in Austin, Texas, where by 99-cent tacos stuffed with scrambled eggs, beans, and salsa mark the beginning of the working day for lots of a neighborhood. Infectiously tasty, to be sure, but also a beautifully healthier begin to your day, assuming you adhere to corn tortillas, which have 50 % the calories and two times the fiber of their flour counterparts.
You are going to Have to have
4 strips bacon, chopped
1⁄2 onion, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
11⁄2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
6 eggs, crushed
Salt and black pepper to flavor
8 corn tortillas
1⁄2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Pico de Gallo or bottled salsa
How to Make It
- Cook dinner the bacon in a huge nonstick skillet above medium heat for 5 minutes, until eventually the unwanted fat renders out and the bacon starts to crisp. Take out with a slotted spoon and reserve on a paper towel.
- Discard all but a slender movie of the bacon grease from the pan.
- Include the onion and mushrooms and cook dinner for about 3 minutes, until eventually the onion is translucent. Incorporate the spinach and keep on cooking right until the spinach is heated all the way via. (If any h2o has gathered in the pan, very carefully pour it out into the sink.)
- Insert the eggs and use a wooden spoon to continually scrape them from the base of the pan as they established. (The objective is to have gentle, fluffy eggs, and regular movement of the spoon will aid you accomplish that.) Period with salt and pepper.
- Heat the tortillas in a pan over medium heat. (Or, if shorter on time, wrap in a moist paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.) Divide the cheese amid the tortillas, prime with the eggs, and spoon above as significantly salsa as you’d like.
Eat This Idea
Corn tortillas trounce their floury cousins in the nourishment division, but most persons still have a issue creating the jump to the more authentic taco foundation. The principal challenge? Texture. A cold corn tortilla is worthless, but a incredibly hot, toasty one is incomparable. If you have a gasoline stovetop, you can warm the tortillas directly more than a small flame for 20 seconds a side, or use a cast-iron skillet or nonstick sauté pan set around medium heat. Doing work with a number of tortillas at a time, prepare dinner till the floor of every single tortilla is frivolously browned, about 30 seconds for every side.