Banish the Bisquick! The ubiquitous dry mix is great in a pinch, but if you could make much healthier, extra scrumptious pancakes by spending an additional 2 minutes at the mixing bowl, why wouldn’t you? Oats and wheat flour give these pancakes a fiber and protein increase, helping stabilize your blood sugar amounts as your overall body absorbs the hurry of carbs that arrives with a stack of flapjacks.
You will Will need
1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
3⁄4 cup immediate rolled oats
3⁄4 cup complete wheat flour
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of cinnamon (in addition 1⁄8 tsp for the apples)
Pinch of nutmeg
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1⁄2 cup apple juice
2 Tbsp brown sugar
Butter or cooking spray
How to Make It
- In a large mixing bowl, merge the buttermilk, oats, flour, milk, butter, baking powder, baking soda, pinch of cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to gently combine, then established apart to relaxation for a number of minutes.
- Mix the apple, apple juice, brown sugar, and remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon in a tiny saucepan and carry to a simmer. Cook right up until the apple has softened and the liquid has thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Warmth a substantial nonstick or solid-iron skillet more than medium warmth. Incorporating a little bit of butter or cooking spray prior to each and every spherical, scoop 1⁄4-cup portions of batter into the skillet and use a spatula to distribute into slender, even circles. Cook dinner till small bubbles kind in the major of the batter, 2 to 3 minutes, then flip and prepare dinner for a further 2 minutes. Continue to keep pancakes heat in the oven though you finish cooking. Serve topped with the warm apples and a bit of confectioners’ sugar, if you like.
Consume This Idea
Supermarket maple syrup is possibly a) very expensive or b) thoroughly fake, awash in superior-fructose corn syrup. Possibly way, you reduce. Fret not, for all of these fruit toppings are not only greater for you than ordinary syrup, they are also noticeably extra enjoyable. Incorporate in a smaller saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes:
- 2 cups frozen (or clean) blueberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups diced pineapple simmered in 1 cup lite coconut milk and 2 Tbsp shredded coconut