Regardless of common false impression, potatoes are a single of the healthiest veggies all over. The functional tater is made up of digestion-aiding fiber, debloating potassium, flu-fighting vitamin C, and immune-boosting vitamin B6. And you could reap these gains, so very long as you never douse the spuds in oil and transform them into their waistline-growing counterparts: imagine French fries, hash browns, and potato chips. If you’re opting for pairing a potato with your supper protein tonight, the ideal way to take in the veggie is by baking it very first. To support you get the slim, crisp pores and skin and beautifully fluffy inside, discover out how to bake a potato in the oven with the beneficial ideas from Katrín Björk, author of From the North: A Simple and Modern-day Method to Authentic Nordic Cooking and founder of the Modern-day Wifestyle, below.
How to bake a potato
Before tossing your tater into the oven, there is just one rule you should constantly keep in brain: pierce each potato with a fork!
“When you bake a potato, the humidity turns to steam that expands with excellent pressure, separating the starch granules and generating your baked potato fluffy,” Björk tells us. “If there is enough strain and the pores and skin has not been pierced before baking, your baked potatoes could explode! My mother utilised to bake potatoes in the microwave when I was developing up, and even however microwaving is an helpful and rapidly technique, it doesn’t give the baked potatoes that pleasant crispy skin, and the flesh very easily results in being dry alternatively than pillowy as it need to be. And that is why I constantly use my oven.”
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and scrub russet potatoes underneath chilly water.
- Dry them absolutely. It is a good plan to put them in the fridge for 20 minutes following washing them, as that will improve the skin’s crispiness. Then, pierce each and every potato 2-3 occasions with a fork.
- Rub the potatoes generously with olive oil and salt. Lay the potatoes directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet in the center of the oven.
- Cook dinner the potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes, right up until their pores and skin is crispy. To assess doneness, prick the potato with a fork and make confident it slides out effortlessly.
- Minimize the potato open up and fill it with your most loved butter, a sprinkle of salt, or sour cream and chives, bacon pieces, cheddar…. the list is limitless!
Now that you know how to bake a potato, why not try out your hand at this simple, small-carb mashed cauliflower recipe that preferences just like your preferred consolation foods?