When it comes to making snickerdoodle cookies, there are two essential attributes the cookie must have: A cinnamon-sugar topping and a pillowy texture. While some cookies are delicious when crumbly or crunchy—like gingerbread cookies or sugar cookies—snickerdoodle cookies are meant to be soft and light, the kind of cookie you would love to pair with a cup of coffee or tea. Thankfully, this recipe has both of those attributes, and it’s incredibly easy to make!
So whether you’re in the thick of your holiday baking, or you’re simply craving a plate of snickerdoodle cookies, this easy recipe will be your favorite go-to cookie to bake.
Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
Makes 24 cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar, separated
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
How to Make It
Chill the dough
In a large bowl or electric stand mixer, whisk together the softened butter, 1/4 cup of the sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Once the ingredients are all mixed, add in the dry ingredients—mixed together in a smaller bowl. When the cookie dough is combined, wrap it up in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight.
Roll cookie dough balls in cinnamon sugar
When you’re ready to bake the cookies, take the dough out of the fridge and let it sit out for a few minutes before breaking it apart. In a small bowl, mix together the other 1/4 cup of sugar with the 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Roll the cookie dough into 1-inch balls and using a spoon, drop the cookie dough balls into the cinnamon sugar and cover them. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes
Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. The cookies will rise a bit and create that nice “pillowy” texture that snickerdoodles are known for. To keep their perfect form, let the cookies cool on the tray for a few minutes (around 3 or 4) before transferring to a plate. The dough is very light and airy when it comes out, so if you try to move them, they may lose their shape.
Full Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
- Whisk together the butter, 1/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Sprinkle into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until a dough has formed.
- Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the other 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Using a spoon, mix together the cookie dough balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Once coated, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let them cool for a few minutes before devouring.