Earning hash browns on a waffle iron is a nontraditional (and ingenious) use for this kitchen area instrument. The waffle iron cooks the hash browns with crisp nooks and crannies that make for the great crunch.
Imagine of these cauliflower hash browns as a flavorful and wholesome car to load up with your favored breakfast foods. Use them as a base for some sliced avocado, bacon, and a sunny-facet-up egg. Or, increase a 2nd hash brown on top for a breakfast sandwich.
If you might be mad about healthful Mexican recipes, best the hash brown with eggs, bitter product, salsa, and beans.
Helps make 6 servings
4 cups cauliflower florets
1 1/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese mix
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/2 onion, grated
1/2 cup new or frozen and thawed corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped refreshing cilantro leaves
2 substantial eggs
1 jalapeño (seeds and stem taken off), finely chopped
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp floor cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly floor black pepper
Melted butter, for greasing the waffle iron and skillet
6 big eggs
1 avocado, sliced
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Ketchup, for serving
Salsa, for serving
Bitter product, for serving
Black beans, for serving
How to Make It
- Preheat the waffle iron. Preheat the oven to its cheapest temperature to maintain the hash browns warm as you function as a result of the batter.
- Carry an inch of drinking water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Put the cauliflower in a steamer basket established over the boiling h2o. Address and steam the florets for 5 minutes, until eventually simply pierced with a fork. Transfer the florets to a food processor and approach till wholly chopped into a meal.
- Transfer the meal to a thoroughly clean, thin dish towel or piece of cheesecloth. Allow neat. Doing the job above the sink, pull the corners of the towel alongside one another and squeeze out the surplus liquid. Location the squeezed food in a substantial bowl.
- Insert 1 cup of the cheese, the almond flour, onion, corn, cilantro, eggs, jalapeño, baking powder, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Stir anything collectively until finally very well put together.
- Brush the waffle iron with melted butter to comprehensively grease it. Scoop 1/2 cup of the hash brown mixture into the waffle iron, spreading it out to an even layer. Close the iron and prepare dinner for 7 to 10 minutes, or till the waffle iron mild suggests the hash browns are cooked through and they are golden and crispy on the outdoors. Transfer to a baking a sheet and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining hash browns.
- While the very last of the hash browns are cooking, heat a tablespoon of butter in a skillet above medium-higher warmth and crack a few eggs into the pan. Prepare dinner the eggs for 5 minutes, right up until the edges are a little crispy, the whites are established, and the yolks are nevertheless runny. Repeat until finally all the eggs are cooked.
- Provide every hash brown with a fried egg, a few slices of avocado, and the remaining cheese. Garnish with cilantro. Take into consideration giving ketchup, salsa, sour product, and black beans as additional toppings.
Relevant: Easy, nutritious, 350-calorie recipe strategies you can make at residence.
Excerpted from Cauliflower Energy by Lindsay Grimes Freedman (Artisan Textbooks). Copyright © 2019. Photographs by Lauren Volo.