Want a comforting, thick bowl of savory porridge? Seem no additional than this congee. Packed with rooster and edamame, it is an outstanding lunch or meal choice. You can simply make it ahead and reheat it, conserving the crispy mushroom step until eventually just in advance of serving.
The foundation of the porridge employs both of those extensive grain brown and limited grain white rice—the short grain white rice provides creaminess and entire body while the brown rice provides a nutty flavor and a great deal of nutrition. And there’s some ginger and shallots in there for depth of taste. Top with sesame oil if you can—it really tends to make a variation!
Will make 2 to 4 servings
2 Tbsp olive oil
1-inch piece refreshing ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1/4 cup short grain white rice
1/2 cup very long grain brown rice
4 1/2 cups small sodium hen broth or drinking water
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
2 cups shredded cooked rooster
3 1/2 oz maitake, shiitake, or enoki mushrooms
1 Tbsp soy sauce, to style
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil, to flavor
How to Make It
- In a major-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in excess of medium-large warmth. Increase the ginger and shallot and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once in a while.
- Insert the brown and white rice and prepare dinner, stirring consistently, for an additional minute. Incorporate the rooster broth and salt. Flip the warmth to minimal, address the pan halfway, and prepare dinner for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until finally the rice is creamy and thick.
- Convert off the heat and stir in the edamame and hen.
- Just before serving, warmth the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a significant nonstick skillet established about medium-substantial warmth be sure to select a pan that is large more than enough to in shape the mushrooms in a single layer without having crowding. The moment the oil shimmers, incorporate the mushrooms and cook without having stirring for about 5 minutes, or until brown and crispy on the bottom. Flip the mushrooms and cook right up until the other aspect is crispy, far too.
- Divide the congee among 2 to 4 bowls, based on the serving dimension you want, and drizzle evenly with soy sauce.
- Best with the crispy mushrooms and drizzle the sesame oil around the leading.
Related: The simple way to make healthier consolation food items.