Give us your bun, and we’ll give you the best burger of your life. You can even have special sauce!
Our healthy burger recipe allows you to load up on the good stuff—whole foods like tomatoes, lettuce, onion, and pickles (yeah, we’ll count them; they are cucumbers, after all!)—while leaving off the bad, like a nutrient-poor bun, sugar-heavy ketchup or barbecue sauce, and fatty bacon and beef.
So ditch the guilt you may associate with a burger on your weight loss diet, and cook up this healthy burger recipe, courtesy of Lose Weight Like Crazy Even if You Have a Crazy Life!
Makes 4 servings (approx. 2 cups each)
For Burger Bowl:
1 lb. raw extra-lean ground beef
1/4 tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup sliced onion (approx. 1 medium)
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
1 cup sliced dill pickles
8 slices cooked turkey bacon, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For Special Sauce:
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise (preferably olive oil-based)
2 Tbsp. all-natural ketchup
2 tsp. pickle relish
1 tsp. finely chopped onion
1 pinch sea salt
Nonstick cooking spray
How To Make It
- Heat a large skillet, lightly coated with spray, over high heat until very hot.
- Add ground beef, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring to separate meat into crumbles, about 5 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- Remove ground beef from pan with a slotted spoon; transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Leave heat on.
- Add onions to pan and cook without stirring for 2 to 3 minutes; flip and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more until browned on both sides.
- To make special sauce, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, chopped onion, and salt in a small bowl.
- To assemble burger bowls, evenly divide lettuce among 4 bowls (approx. ¾ cup each). Top evenly with ¼ cup tomatoes, ¼ cup pickles, ¼ cup cooked onion, a quarter of the bacon (approx. 2 slices), and ¼ cup cheese. Drizzle evenly with special sauce (approx. 1 Tbsp. + 1 ½ tsp. each).
For more healthy eating news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!